-->

Friday, September 21, 2007

Happy Constitution Day

Matt posted on September 17th being Constitution Day. I should know this. I did find the list of amendments interesting. I knew there were originally 12 proposed amendments, that only ten were ratified to become the bill of rights. I did not know until now that another was approved in 1992 after being proposed in 1789. Wow, a long time on the Capitol steps.

There was a book I read on James Madison (can't find it right now) that had a thoughtful 'what-if'. What if Madison did not take part in the debate in Virginia over ratifying the Constitution, and Patrick Henry wins the day by keeping the state out of the new Union while other states go on to make it the governing document? A new government is formed, but without George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and others who are from Virginia. Would it have survived?

End of Entry

No comments: