-->

Friday, June 06, 2003

Stardate 56060.6 (June 6, 2003)

Yay, school is out for summer! You would think that since I am not in school, this would mean nothing. That would be WRONG! Every morning, 5 days a week, I drag my kids and my wife out of bed. May is a very hard month for this. The sun is up until 8:30 – 9:00 each night. I hate to try and put my kids to bed in daylight, especially when there are other kids still out playing. Moreover, I want to get out and do things around the yard. So the result is the kids go to bed at 9 or 10, sometimes 11, then are back up at 6. The cumulative lack of a full sleep gets to them. They fight and cry increasingly. Now they can sleep in a little bit. Thomas still tends to get up as soon as the sun is up, but oh well.

The end of school coincides with the end of the TV season. Strange how that works. I don’t watch that much or as least I don’t think so. The one show I watch every week is of course Enterprise. I watch The Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants when I can catch them. April tries to hook me on ER, but I find it depressing. There are some other shows I am interested in, but I agree with Captain Stark, if I can’t remember to watch or tape them, they aren’t worth the time. The Amazing Race 4 has just started, and I am actively watching that.

When I arrived at work after attending Patrick’s end of school party, I had more good news. This was somewhat mixed news, though. The release scheduled for next week was delayed because the state of New York mandated changes at the beginning of the year, but just released the data to us for it. State and federal legislations do not seem to have the same concept of time the public has. Anyway, the mixed part is that we were on schedule to do regression testing during the workweek, instead of the weekend as has become the norm. But this means that will happen during the middle of next week. At least there will be a slowdown for a few days to catch up on some side projects.

I turned in my Performance Evaluation on May 30th. What in the past was about 3 or 4 pages, is now 7 to 10. I have started saving all the proposals, tasks, and other stuff so I can build a nice chronology of accomplishments for the last year. As far as next year, the least satisfying, as they put it, is the lack of professional progress. I would like a chance to use the newer technologies and languages. But I will try and push the current project in that direction.

Started to carpool with a coworker the last two weeks. I live in Layton, and work is in West Valley. The commute is 20 miles each way. 40 miles a day adds up very quickly in wear and tear on the car, and in gas. So far, in the last two weeks, I have filled the car with gas once. Before this, I would have filled it three times.

We went to see Finding Nemo on Thursday, June 5. The movie lived up to what I expected. It was good. The only compliant I have is not with the movie itself, but with the advertising. By the time a movie is out, the promos and trailers have shown the best parts, and sometimes half the movie. I was not surprised by anything except the seagulls, which I found very funny. (Mine? Mine?)

For the department meeting, we watched Nemesis on DVD. I liked it a lot better this time around. When I saw it in the theater, the soundtrack was a little messed up, and the picture was slightly blurry. One guy went out several times to complain, but they did nothing. When I pay $7 to see a movie, I really expect it to be at least as good as in my home, and hopefully much better. My son Patrick came in a few times to watch when the battle scenes were on. His one question was “Is the bald guy dying? Not that bald guy (Patrick Stewart), the other one (Thomas Hardy).” Anyway, now I am intent on buying the DVD.

One goal is to write these a little more often, so they are not as long.

End of Entry

No comments: