-->

Friday, June 20, 2003

Bald Captain

Stardate 56062.0 (June 20, 2003)

I went to the library to pick up a book for April. While I was there, I picked up a few books on CGI (Common Gateway Interface) programming and Perl programming. I like the Perl language, and I see why it is so popular to do CGI programming with. A coworker made a remark that those things were passé. I replied that yeah, vogue style is to use web services. But if the ISP does not support ASP or JSP, it’s still useful. Despite Microsoft’s best efforts, not everyone uses IIS. This is not bad thing, considering that the company I work for requires any web server to be approved by network security. Apparently hackers attack the servers on a daily basis. I wish I had my camera to capture the look on the department manager face when she reminded us that this was corporate policy, and one of the developers told her that the time tracking server she had them set up was never approved.

On a similar subject, the captain added a link to my personal home page to the Seventh Fleet web site. This is kind embarrassing, considering there is very little here beyond this log and some old pictures. However, during a search for something else, I found a theme that I like, so I will try to find some time to update things.

April and Rachel went to a Girl Scout campout Thursday morning, so it has just been us guys. I put in the Nemesis DVD that night, and flipped through some of the action scenes. It warmed my heart to hear Thomas say “Whoa, cool!” when the buggy jumped into the shuttle. Patrick had me rerun the ramming scene quite a few times. I had to laugh because he asked me at one point if the bald guy was the captain. I said yes, that’s Captain Picard. He then asked if Captain Archer was on vacation.

End of Entry

No comments: