-->

Friday, June 27, 2003

Harry Potter

Stardate 56062.7 (6-27-2003)

The main event of the week was of course the new Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. April already finished it, so she can as she put it “get on with life”. I am about halfway through, and my daughter Rachel is to chapter 4. One of the challenges I gave her last year to encourage her to read is to finish the new book  when it came out. She’s doing well so far.

April’s campout with her Girl Scout troop went very well. I was home when they returned, and all the girls went on and on about how much fun it was and what went on. Rachel wants to set up the tent the next time the family goes camping.

My sister had Patrick stay overnight with her. Patrick has never been able to do it before. I told her what Patrick asked me while watching Nemesis. So she explained that there were four captains, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and Archer. I had to point out after she brought Patrick home that she missed Sisko.

Work proceeds as before. My supervisor seems to be avoiding the subject of performance reviews. I’m not expecting much since the process was taken over by UHG corporate a couple of years ago. Their system limits raises and the money is set up beforehand to be spread over a whole department. Again, I always saw raises as a motivational idea, but I guess I am wrong.

I’m continuing to include Klingon words in the email when I send the weekly status report to my supervisor. The report itself is in English, although given my opinion of such things I might try Klingon next time. Today he grabbed a dictionary and replied with a phrase. I answered with another question, and he replied with another phrase that had no relevance to the question. I don’t think he knows what he is writing. I’m getting some practice, though. A little more and I might not get lost if I sign up on the KLI listserv.

The release last month was delayed a week to include New York state data that was late in coming. This means that this months regression tests are scheduled for the Fourth of July. I figure I will be dialing in Saturday the fifth to do it. 

I am still learning about Perl, although I haven’t done much with it yet. I see lots things I could do with it. I am impressed that there are versions for all platforms. I even have a version on my work laptop at part of some approved software. That’s got to be a first.

End of Entry

No comments: