-->

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Thomas is five

Stardate 58030.1 (3-1-2005)

Lots of people talk about how pretentious keeping an online blog is. Why do I think I have anything important to say to the world? The answer is, I don't think that. I have always wanted to keep a journal, but failed at a number of attempts. Since I work on a computer all day (and sometimes all night), this seems the logical format. I never lose the website. I don't have to carry a physical notebook around. I can write everything down, and reorder it into somehing that makes sense. It is not a stream of thought like Mike Gibby's video blog. That, for me, would be a mess. I tend to jump from thought to thought, and pick up a thread of thinking again a few minutes later. I have noticed my conversation follows that same pattern. I talk about something, switch to some other subject, and come back again with more on the first topic. So it's like a TV show or newspaper comic, if you don't like it, find something else. If you do, I appreciate it, and I admit to walking through the access logs to see if anyone does read it.

Speaking of TV, there was a recent discussion on the UtahFandom mailing list about whether Star Trek:Enterprise was worth any effort to save. One person ventured the opinion that fans were trying to save it because it was Star Trek. I thought long and hard on that question. I will admit that plays a small part, but I can honestly say I have enjoyed Enterprise as much as the other series. It has it's share of bad episodes, but which ones they are is a subjective matter. It does not have the gee-whiz, this is amazing quality. I can't think of a show in the last 5 or so years that has had that effect. It makes me curious what sci-fi shows the people who don't think Enterprise is worth saving do watch. I have seen 6-8 episodes of Stargate SG-1, and a few of Atlantis, but nothing has grabbed me. (A side note here. I thought going back to the start of Stargate would help. So I rented season 1 from Blockbuster Online. I got disc 1 only. Never rent multi-disc sets online. Good safety tip, Egon.) This is not to say its not for others, I just don't care for it. Same goes for any number of shows. April and Rachel watch American Idol. I have watched it with them from time to time, but I don't care for it.

Anyway, Friday we watched "Two Brothers", another online rental. We didn't get halfway through it because Patrick (and by extention, Thomas) were crying so hard about the cubs being separated from mom and dad, and each other. Patrick thought that was mean. Memories came flooding back that I was never able to watch "Born Free" for much the same reason.

Friday as well my Dad was riding his scooter back from the bank, dropped his keys, reached down to get them, and tipped over. Fortunately someone stopped to help. He says he is alright, but his leg hurts.

Yesterday was Thomas's birthday. It's hard to accept my youngest is five. I can go back to a log entry in December of 2003 when he finally got out of diapers. This is good reason to keep the blog. He was not happy about having to go to school and extended day care. But it went well. He got a GI Joe jet and tank (on sale for $7, was $50), an ARC trooper from Star Wars (Rachel bought it for him with her own money), and a toy Anakin starfighter from Revenge of the Sith. Both he and Patrick can't wait to see the third episode.

End of Entry

No comments: