-->

Monday, March 14, 2005

Sick

Stardate 58031.4 (3-14-2005)
Rotten time last week. I was sick the majority of it, and my head still aches and my ears seem stuffed with cotton. It would have helped if I had been able to rest, but there were deadlines to meet at work, and we are short-staffed. So I worked from home. This would have been ok, but the router died. When I plug it in and no cables are attached, I get a 3 light, and nothing else. No power light, no wireless. I called tech support and left a message, but I have not heard back yet. I hope to get them on the phone before the warrenty runs out next month.

Speaking of and bashing tech support, Tuesday I tried logging in the the unix server. I was at that time not feeling well and somehow managed to disable my account. I called the help desk, who transfer me back east. They ask for my user id, and proceed to tell me that id does not exist. They ask for my employee id. I give them that, and they tell me my user id is something that bears no resemblance to anything I have every had, and that I have no access to the system. The tech then asks me if I am a new employee. I reply that no, I have been with the company for fifteen years, and I have been using that user id for the last ten. She replies that she is forwarding the matter to security. A little later security emails me that the user id I have been using does not exist, and they have created a new one. If I want access to any servers, I need to fill out online request forms. I email back that I can't access the forms. I have not heard a reply. In the meantime, I called the local sys admin, explained what was going on, and asked for help. He takes a minute or two to get his laughter under control, confirms why I can't login, and enables my account. I explained this in the reply to security, but they ignore it. To date, I still have no clue what went on. It makes me a little nervous.

Wednesday my dad went into the hospital. The fall he had last week did indeed crack his hip. They did surgery that night, and inserted three pins. It could have been much worse. He is in a nursing facility now for physical therapy. I wonder why the surgery was done that night, though. By the time the surgeon got to the hospital (the rest of the team arrived on time from what I gathered, and the anesthesiologist was a little annoyed the doc was late), it was 10:30. He did the surgery in an hour, so it was about midnight before my dad got back to his room. By the time I got home it was 2 AM. This would not normally bother me, but my head was splitting open, and I was trying not to cough up a lung. Thursday and Friday were a haze, but I managed to get everything done, and did not use any PTO. I would have loved to do so, however.

Saturday was the last basketball games. With a combination of DayQuil and Motrin I attended them. I must say that Patrick put an awesome effort into it. He managed to steal the ball away a few times, go off a few shots (didn't make them, though), and prevented his opponent from taking a lot of shots. Rachel's team was actually leading for one period. With a few more moves, and lots of practice, she could be outstanding. Defensively, she already is. 

My head still hurts, and I am still sniffling, but the coughing has subsided. 

End of Entry

No comments: