-->

Monday, October 18, 2004

Network issues, Thriller, Soccer

Stardate 58101.8 (10-18-2004)
Very good weekend for getting some outstanding projects done. I went back to work on the home network. After nearly a day and a half, the obvious hit me. The DSL modem had a router in it. I attached a wireless router to that. The IP address of the DSL was 192.168.0.1, as was the wireless. TCP/IP does not like more than one device to have the same address. The breakthrough came after I installed a second network card on the desktop machine, hooked to the wireless. XP recognized it and configured it fine, but complained there were two devices with the same address. That was the event that kicked my brain toward the problem. So the DSL router gets the default 192.168.0.1 address all the other devices look for as a gateway. The wireless is set up with a static IP address. Both routers have DHCP enabled, but they serve only the devices attached to them. Both have DNS lookup set to the ISP’s servers. One little annoyance is that if the power flips off, I need to power down the wireless for a few seconds. It doesn’t happen too often, though. Of course, the day after I get it all set up, the power does blink. Twenty-twenty hindsight keeps yelling at me that the problem was obvious, I just couldn’t see it.

Rachel, Patrick, and April went to a play at Weber University called Thriller Friday night. I had a prior commitment and couldn’t go. We felt Thomas might be too scared, so he went with me. The play was apparently very good, because both Rachel and Patrick talked about it on the way to soccer the next day. There were lots of monsters, but most of it was humorous.

Soccer is winding down. Rachel played her last game for the fall, and Patrick’s is next week. Rachel’s team pretty much dominated, due to a ringer. I did see some improvement in teamwork the last game. One thing I did note was Rachel’s friend Audra. She started out the season only kicking the ball when it came her way. The last few games she has been taking the ball from opponents, and dribbling it down the field.

Patrick’s team has been struggling. Most of the players are new to U-8, where there is a goalie and positions. The players did not understand what special tasks the goalie could do (such as grab the ball with their hands). Patrick had a tendency to show off, such as flailing his arms as he kicked the ball, or kicking the ball and falling down. This last game I had him sit down and watch went he was out. He noticed a few things, and I told him he needed to pursue the ball after kicking it. He tried this the next time he was in, and he scored a goal, as well as helping two other teammates score. The team still lost, but the game was good.

Rachel starts indoor soccer. This is competitive, and several parents have been recruiting her. Basketball will be starting in January.

Monday morning was raining, dark, and a little cold. After I woke the kids up for school, Thomas came down in his pajamas. I told him he needed to get dressed and ready for school. He told me that it was not time for school because it was the middle of the night. It was a little sad to have to correct him on it.

Xmission updated the web server to Apache yesterday. So far, the only thing that does not work is the Visitors page. There is help for this on the web, though, so I should get it back up soon.

End of Entry

No comments: