-->

Friday, June 17, 2005

Site updates

Stardate 58061.7 (6-17-2005)
I did a few much needed site updates yesterday. The link to the Star Trek actors page was updated, the banner to the Seventh Fleet site was updated (to reflect the updated URL), and removed The Bitter Villager from the blogs, since that site is no longer maintained. Not sure what happended with it. The blogs page is getting a little small, but there are are few more I think I will be adding. 

I downloaded the latest Visual C++ Express beta, and have been playing with it. I also installed PHP, Apache, and MySQL. PHP is pretty fun, and a little easier to use than Perl. I might convert some of the stuff on this site from Perl to PHP. One page is already done in PHP. Apache is hooked up with PHP, so I can play around with stuff on my machine without uploading it to the world at large. I am also trying to move the Star Trek info from Access to MySQL. It should be easy, once I am a little more familiar with MySQL. TOAD, a program I have been using with Oracle at work for many years, is available in beta for MySQL. Quest Software, the maker, is looking to go commercial with it soon. I have the printer networked again, except to the laptop. For some reason Win98 insists the drivers are not found despite the fact I installed them. The machine does not have enough memory to run XP, and I don't want to add more. 

The 20 Gig drive in the old computer fizzled last week. Not much of a loss since it contained games and stuff mirrored from the other drive. I'd like to get a USB drive now. The two drives were mashed one on top of the other, which does not leave much for airflow to take the heat away. I did lose the Age of Empire mods and games I had, but I can get those again. I realized I still had not even loaded Rome: Total War after buying it six months ago. I just don't have the time to sit down and play a computer game. One of the neighborhood kids was in playing yesterday, and was VERY fascinated with Starfleet Command III. I let him borrow it for a while. 

The uprights for the stairs on the deck are done. Just a few pieces of lattice, and the outside to do, and it's done. 

Rachel has been taking tennis lessons all this week. She has to get up and out to them by 8 AM, but they are right here in Layton, so it's not a big deal. She really likes it.

Patrick is still obsessed with the Pokemon Gameboy game. It's to the point where he wanders around outside with it. 

It's going to be a busy weekend. A friend's mother passed away suddenly, so we are watching her kids while she goes to Florida. 

End of Entry

No comments: