-->

Friday, August 20, 2004

Van Light

Stardate 57082.0 (08-20-2004)

An eloquent post on science fiction and technology. People at work have complained I use a lot of big words, but I don't think I am in her category. I agree with what she says, though. If growing up means giving up imagining a world where humans are not killing one another over different religious and ideological views, where space is open to all, where the rest of the world population descends on natural disaster, famine, and trouble spots with all the aid they can muster, then I will remain a child at heart. I will, however, draw the line at going to a convention in a cheerleading outfit (much to everyone's relief).

Thomas, watching one of the endless ads for hair restoration products, told me I needed one. Then again, according to my kids, I need a Bowflex and a dozen other products advertised to make you look and feel better. I have noticed over the past couple of years that if I stay in the sun for a long period of time, the top of my head gets sunburned.  At least they are watching out for me. I have over the years gone from being compared to Li Shang of Disney's "Mulan" to Homer Simpson when I have my shirt off.

Visited with my Dad Wednesday. He is doing ok, but the problems with his legs is getting worse. Numerous trips to doctors have not revealed what is wrong, much less a treatment. I think it is some sort of neuromuscular dysfunction. He told me he thinks my grandmother had the same thing, so it might be something congenital. He still gets out, so that is something.

I've been searching for a replacement for the parking/turn signal lens on the van. The county says it needs to be replaced before I can renew my registration, because I can't have something with jagged edges. Ordering the part kept getting the wrong thing. I called around yesterday, and a guy at Butterfield Ford was frank, they have never replaced one, so they don't carry it in stock. He did a search, and told me there was one in the valley at Larry Miller Auto Parts Warehouse. I called them, and went to get it. The same wrong part showed up, but the guy at the counter turned his screen around for me to see, pulled up a diagram of the van, and asked me to show him what I wanted. He clicked on it, got the part number, looked in inventory, and was back in a couple of minutes with what I needed. I was impressed. One of the auto part store employees told me earlier in the week he wished they had pictures for the parts. Maybe I should go back and mention this to him. This is where computers are really useful, making information quick and easy to have. April did point out after the part number was on the back of the part I had taken off the van.

End of Entry

No comments: