-->

Monday, August 30, 2004

100th Entry

Stardate 57083.0 (08-30-2004)

Hello, and welcome to the 100th log entry. It’s amazing, really. I’ve always thought it would be neat to keep a journal of some kind. Several attempts at a written one failed after a couple of entries. When I was looking over the Seventh Fleet website, I followed the links to Carl Stark and Mike Gibby, who both do online logs, or blogs. I have since learned that there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of blogs. I’m not sure why I find this better than a written one. Anyway, about a year and a half of this, and I am still going strong.

Instead of going to bed last night like I should have, I stayed up with April and watched “The 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs Ever” on VH1. There were some I have never heard of (mainly rap, which doesn’t interest me). There were several I enjoy, and I don’t see why they would be bad (Huey Lewis and the News – ‘The Heart of Rock and Roll’, Wang Chungs “Everybody Have Fun Tonight”). Others I could see, such as Ricky Martin’s ‘She Bangs”. It’s a matter of opinion. Some were on there because of lyrics, yet I remember other songs with little or no lyrics that didn’t make the list. 

Strange, I never made the connection until just recently the Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee of “The Lord of the Rings") was the son of John Astin (Gomez in TV’s “The Addams Family”). My favorite role of his was as Harry Stone’s mental inmate father on “Night Court”. He would always have the line “Of course, there was that setback with (fill in the blank)”, knit his eyebrows for a few seconds, and then get a big smile and say “But I’m feeling much better now!”

Thomas went to the Extended Daycare Program (EDP) for the first time today. Pre-kindergarten is only half a day, so on the days both April and I work, the kids stay at school in EDP. Patrick and Rachel are only there for about an hour, but Thomas is about four hours. He was not happy about it. The story I got today is that they had the kids do some coloring, and a little girl sitting next to him kept asking him questions. He didn’t respond to any of them until she asked if he talked at all. He looked at her and said simply, “no”, and went back to coloring. It’s amusing to see your personality traits show up in your kids.

An article about the Ticonderoga's and Kelly's Adopt-A-Highway volunteer effort appeared in the SL Tribune today. Unfortunately, they cut out Carl's comments and didn't mention his name. I was not happy with it starting out "From white supremacists and Star Trek fanatics". Not exactly two groups who would have a lot in common beyond cleaning a stretch of highway. The club does get a lot of response from the sign on the highway. I pass by both that one and the USS Kelly sign on the way to work in the morning.

End of Entry

No comments: