-->

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Pissed off at Home Depot

Stardate 57080.7 (08-07-2004)

Pissed off, I am. Calling Home Depot yesterday, the deck railing was still not in. It has officially been a month. The guy there promised to call the supplier. We called back about fifteen minutes later, and the guy was finally honest with us. Unless we substantially increased our order, or someone else orders the same thing, it was not worth the time for the supplier to ship it. Therefore, unless we are extremely lucky, we will not get what we paid for. Whereas I can understand the reasoning, I am ticked off they just didn't tell me this to begin with. Another vinyl supplier can supposedly get what we want, and they will cut it to size. Add that to the fact the deck expert in Riverdale refused to talk to me after he found out I had already built the thing, and I am seriously thinking of sending a snail mail complaint. Sadly, I don't believe there is anything worth filing a complaint with the BBB here.

Utah has it's share of blogs, according to the Deseret News. They gave a link to the same site I picked up a few more blogs from. I did read a little of a Canadian who attends BYU, just for the novelty of it. I can't believe some people do not understand this person is an international student. On the other hand, that would be a great attitude for the world, being accepted for who you are, not where you are from.

I took the old mattress frame and toddler mattress to the dump on Friday. It was not hard to draw parallels to the recent case of Lori and Mark Hacking. That case has become bizarre. I feel sorry for both families.

At work, the occasional message is sent around about something that was found and turned in at the front desk. The message comes from security, and one of the employees there words it somewhat strangely. For example, this week it was "Found one each ring men's locker room. Describe security desk." Looking back at the list of words and occurrences, the high counts are on words like "the", "a", "and", etc. The lost and found message points out why.

Microsoft has released a beta version of Visual Studio Express 2005 for free. You do need to go through a bunch of steps (including getting a .NET passport) to get it. And after three hours, it's still installing. The progress bar does move, so it does not seem to be stuck. It did install the .NET framework version 2.0, so I can play with generics in C# and SQL Server 2005.

We signed Patrick up for karate on Friday at a place in Layton. His first group class was Saturday morning. He said he had fun, but he did not sound very enthusiastic about it. He said the guy had them do a lot of push ups, sit ups, and stretching. I told him physical conditioning is important for his health, and to do most activities. He did like the wrestling they did. Watching the last part of the class, I did notice if a student started acting up or talking too much the guy had them do ten push ups. At the end, if your room was not clean (and he looked at a parent for confirmation), or you did not practice, you did more push ups.

This link on Miss Cranky's about Boudicca was interesting. I had heard the name, but if you had asked me about it before I read the link, I would not have been able to say exactly who she was, or even where she was from. The only thing I knew about it is that she was someone who gave the Romans trouble. I might go to the library (better yet, the library web site) and see if I can find any books to corroborate the information here, and maybe some diagrams of the battle to recreate in AOE. Wish me luck, because I usually don't find anything. But chariots against the Roman legion? It's worth a shot. ("What did the Romans ever do for us?" Reg - Leader of the PFJ. "The aqueduct?" - PFJ Member).

End of Entry

No comments: