-->

Sunday, February 08, 2004

Weekly Status

Stardate 57020.8 (02-08-2004)

Am I in the F5 habit? Eric Sink wrote about this in September of 2003. Sometimes when you program, you make a small change, hit the F7 key in Visual Studio to recompile, and hit F5 to run it in a debugger. You do this over and over again until you get want you want. I don't think I do this a lot. If I am trying to learn, then this is one of the methods I use. But for stuff I already know, I write it, compile it, and send it out for testing. There are times when I don't have the luxury of doing a incremental approach. Just slam in the lines, fix the typos, and I'm done. I think this bothers some of the people I work with. Some of them spend a week on one issue. And if the code works, it doesn't please these people. Of course, if I want to see what bad habits I have, I look at my kids. They pick them up faster than anything else I can teach.

The weekly status report, which generally looks like:
DevTrack 4567: Implemented this
DevTrack 4568: Implemented that

and this might fill a page. This weeks report filled three. One line each. Last month I said I was doing more, and this highlights that.

I know what's wrong with the dryer, so I don't have to bang my head. The fan on the vent is loose, so it bangs and catches. The dryer takes all day to dry a load of clothes because there is a sensor on the heating element that shuts it off. I am sure this is because the fan on the vent is not working. I think I can fix this.

The basketball games went well this weekend. Rachel's coach (I am the assistant coach) told me the other coach chewed him out after the last game because she thought our team cheated. I'm not sure how that would have happened. There are a couple of refs in the game watching things. The coach is out of town Wednesday, as is the coach of the other team that practices that night. So they both asked me to take over. That night is going to be fun.

Soccer will be starting in a month or so. I gotta get the teams organized.

I finished the I.K.S. Gorkon: Honor Bound book. Pretty good. I'd like to read the other volumes in the series, but for some reason the library only carries volume two. This is true for a lot of the Star Trek book series. I can't figure this out. Why just the second of a book series?

End of Entry

No comments: