-->

Monday, February 02, 2004

POP and India

Stardate 57020.2 (02-02-2004)

My carpool buddy handed me a Wired magazine last Thursday. There was an article on the tech jobs moving to India. It was pretty good. The Indians don't understand why Americans are upset, and what prompts the Pissed Off Programmer (POP). They have some good points. Americans have always preached to embrace change, but we complain when the change benefits others more than this country. This is true. Other things mentioned were amusing. They say they are taking away jobs because they are better at it then we are. There were some things the article brought out that I wonder about. Off shoring government jobs is not smart in the long run, no matter how much money is saved. Several state have put up legislation that would prevent this. The article ended with a comparison to the auto industry of the 70's and 80's. Japan took a lot away from the US, but failed to keep up on innovations. India looks to be the same.

Later that day I tried the handyman thing again and looked at the dryer. I banged my head on the cabinets getting up. It wasn't until Saturday that I didn't have a headache, and it still hurts when I touch the area. Not much progress yet on the dryer, but the nice thing is that it is not hard to take apart.

There are days when I wonder why I vote. The state legislature debated sending a 'strongly worded memo' to the federal government telling them the US needs to get out of the UN. I don't agree with the sentiment, but more to the point, it's a waste of time. There are more important local matters to deal with. I think the voters should send a message to some of the representatives in the state capital. Something like "God grant me the power to change the things I can, accept what I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference".

Sunday we went the the Cathedral of the Madeline in Salt Lake for a Scout ceremony. It was good, and I love the building. I've only been inside once or twice before. Rachel looked great in a brown jumper with her hair in a French bun. She and April went Saturday afternoon to get their hair done. Patrick wanted to spend more time with mom, but I don't think a salon was something he would have enjoyed. He was not happy about it, then Thomas pipes up with "But I like Daddy!"

We got home in plenty of time for the game. It was good, and not a blowout like I thought it would be. A big defensive struggle at first, and then the offense adjusted on both sides. It came down to the last five seconds to decide the winner. For a little while it could have gone into overtime. The other super bowl, the ads, were disappointing. The donkey wanting to be a Clydesdale was cute, but my favorite was MasterCard and Homer Simpson. The fallout from the halftime show controversy will have to be seen. I ate too much, but that's part of the fun. Hot wings, ribs, potato chips, and beer are traditional.

One of April's coworkers wants to do a case study of the problem with my foot. He sent some tests on her to Salt Lake, but they didn't do anything.

While going through and cleaning up my hard disk, I found a document on Rachel's schedule. It took us a few minutes to place it. It was done just before Patrick was born. My mother-in-law was coming up to help out, and wanted something to go by. Rachel never fit into it, but it is an interesting bit of the past.

Still wasting lots of time with AOE II.

End of Entry

No comments: