-->

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

C# Error

Stardate 56081.3 (8/13/2003)

I was looking into some strange things on my C# project, because ThreadPools do not work the way I expected. I found an article by Marc Clifton  that somewhat explains why. He recommended a ManagedThreadPool  class developed by Stephen Toub  at Microsoft that might work better. I went to get it, and discovered that I had it already. I’ll have to see if it works the way I want. 

Another article by Marc Clifton, “A Look At What’s Wrong With Objects” had a good paragraph in it about formal education.

“What happened to formal education? People get degrees nowadays to get jobs and better pay rather than actually learning something. Learning seems to have taken second seat in the orchestra of life. But there's some justification to this also. My experiences with institutes of higher learning here in the United States (and in particular, California), has been terrible. Antiquated machinery, obsolete programming courses using out of date operating systems and tools, and professors that grade on "following directions" rather than solutions that try to be efficient and high performance. And the biggest complaint of all--colleges and universities haven't a clue what real-life programming is like. Sadly, formal education seems to be a necessary evil at this point, at least in the computer science field. It used to be that universities were the leaders in innovation and research. Now they seem more a haven for the socially inept and "education" leaves one technically incompetent.”

I think this applies to a lot of areas, but I do find that new hires just out of college want step by step instructions on how to do something. Given that Utah is last in the nation for spending per student, I should not be surprised.

I also found a blog entry on GOTDOTNET.COM from Eric Gunnerson  praising generic programming., and some discussion by Don Box about it. I am guessing from this that the new specification to ECMA on .NET includes generic programming. The specification for Java 1.5 is also supposed to include this. Personally, that’s one of the things I love about C++. I can’t wait until some of these other languages implement it. I like the calendar on the right they use to go to different blog entries. I want to replace the scroll down menu on the left with something like this for the personal logs.

There was a message from Desktop services at work about the RPC buffer overrun bug and the Internet worm that takes advantage of it. I wonder why they took so long to distribute the message given how fearful they are of viruses. Microsoft calls the patch for this a HotFix. I would not have a problem with the term if it installed without having me reboot to activate it. The term hotfix means that you install it on a running system, and it starts up. If you need to reboot, then it’s a patch. Microsoft wants everyone to see it as an enhancement, instead of a bug fix. 

My sister, Susan, told me I don't use names in the logs. Most of the time this is on purpose. I like to 
respect people's privacy. She also told me it wasn't necessary to call me anymore, all she had to do is read these to find out what is going on with my family.  That was not the purpose and she said it as a joke, but I guess it is true.

I read in the paper that Senator Orrin Hatch wants to repeal Article II, Section I of the Constitution that says the President must be a natural born citizen. He says it's not just for Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I think that's the main reason. Another columnist in Sunday's Standard Examiner listed a list of events he said that proved the Republican party was trying to make the US a one party state. It was tongue in cheek, but I would be interested to see how much of it was true.

Last, as I review the entry, I was using the word interesting all over the place. I redid a lot of it, but I could replace some of those with fascinatingintriguing, or remarkable. A thesaurus can be so much fun. :)

End of Entry

No comments: