-->

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Rachel ACT Up Plsy

Stardate 57072.0 (07-20-2004)

I am one of three to be chosen to help out with the project that will eventually replace what I am doing now. Three of three would be my designation, along with the department manager and another senior developer. We joked about it with "you will be assimilated, resistance is futile". I did find out there were a few others assigned, but these are the two who are best suited for pulled off what they want to do.

Chuck's training went well, for the time that we had. I think he wanted the group to be more impressed by the C++ standard library. They were kind of quiet. I liked the things he showed, but now I wonder if I will get a chance to use them. I did download the Digital Mars compiler (formerly Symantec, formerly Zortech). I hope to have a little time to play with C++. One project that should be easy is to do a word count on the logs, and see how many words I used over and over. The hard part is getting rid of the HTML tags.

Patrick has been accident prone lately. He fell getting out of the pool, and has a nasty bruise on his chin. There are other bruises and cuts on his arms and knees. One set of scrapes came when he tried to ride through a puddle, swerved to miss a garbage can, slipped, and smashed into it. I told him that water can make tires slip like that. Friday we headed to the staff meeting for the Ticonderoga. It had rained just before, and it was wet. Patrick asked me why cars don't slip in water the way his bicycle did. I told him they do, and when it is raining, you need to drive more carefully. I was impressed he made the connection.

Rachel was in acting camp all last week. We went on Saturday to see the play they worked on (parts of the Wizard of Oz). I was wowed by the acting. All the kids spoke clearly, and it was fun to watch. Rachel had a good time. She has good artistic qualities. She likes to act, draw, and make up stories. Patrick is more like me, in that he has mechanical aptitude.














End of Entry

No comments: