-->

Saturday, July 24, 2004

GS Camping

Stardate 57072.4 (07-24-2004)

Rachel and April went to camp this week. It wasn't as much fun as they had hoped. The main activity is horse riding. The stable is about a mile hike from the campground. When they got there, they found out you had to be at least nine years old, which cuts out about half the troop.
































I and the other developers met with the new team. Of course, we went around doing introductions, and one guy mentions he has been there 8 years. This sets a precedent, and I am put upon to mention I have been there 16 years. One guy in the group kept after me the rest of the day: "You've been here 16 years?", "16 years, really?", and "I would think you should be a VP by now." It's not a union job, so seniority doesn't count for much. I am pretty high on the list of people who have been there the longest (in the top five).

Moving to the new team, even part time, has caused some tension. People are not happy about it. The least happy is the guy who is taking on much of my old responsibilities. I think he will do fine. I was thrown in the fire with no help several times. I did hear that a number of the developers on the new team quit recently, and I wonder if this has anything to do with performance reviews have been handed out lately. Someone else told me it was because the three of us were assigned, and they quit because we would take all the credit for their hard work. Credit is usually reserved for executive level, so I don't see how this could be.

I have had a reoccurrence of sciatica. My right knee is weak, and I have difficulty flexing my right foot out without pain. It resolves itself in a few weeks, but it does dampen my ability to do things (sleep, for one, since it is hard to do when I have pain shooting down the back of my leg that gets worse when I lie down). There are many causes, but I suspect it's due to my sitting for long periods of time. I normally get up and walk around every hour at work, but have been intent on a number of things, so this has fallen off. I did start doing it again this week. I've also been out pulling weeds, and I have gained some weight. I have been relatively inactive after being busy building the deck. It's been more than a year since the last occurrence, so I am writing this down to try and find out why it occurs.

The deck is still waiting on the railing, which is a special order.

The 35th anniversary of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon was last July 16th. I really did not see to much about it, although I did read a "where are they now" about Micheal Collins, 'Buzz' Aldrin, and Neil Armstrong.

I saw this in the paper, and it struck me for some odd reason :).
End of Entry

No comments: