-->

Monday, August 16, 2004

Understanding Slowly

Stardate 57081.6 (08-16-2004)

Understanding is coming slowly but surely on the new team. Part of the problem is getting used to the new IDE. Eclipse looks like a great tool, but it takes some getting used to. I did get the crash resolved. The guy added code to free up memory for a class member, but it was already being freed in another part of the program. That piece of code is not obvious, but I am struggling with how to make it better.

This morning I found a article about Windows XP Service Pack 2, and how it will impact some programs. Right at the top of the list is Starfleet Command III. Reading further on, the main problem is that the firewall software shuts down all TCP ports. You can open up the ones you need for the multi-user online games. Another interesting argument is here. Taking away raw sockets really doesn't deter hackers. It may frustrate the script kiddies for a while, until new scripts are available to work around it.

Also this morning, I went in to check on the kids before going to work. Thomas had grabbed a Lego Darth Vader and had it lying beside him with the head on the pillow. It was all I could do to not laugh out loud at how cute that was.

No new word on the deck railing. I went down to the place last week to order, but they were already closed. I did get the van mostly repaired. The front parking light is still broken. I walked down to the new Checker Auto on Gordon, but they would not be able to get the part until the first week in September. I can't figure out why it takes so long to get stuff in. Well, not true. It takes so long because they have to fill a semi trailer. C&H Auto said they would have it tomorrow.

April is going to be mad at me again. She scrambles to trade shifts because she does not have any paid time off (PTO)  I took three days off last week. When I checked my accumulated PTO then, it was 80 hours. I put the time off in the timesheet today, and the PTO is now 98 hours. So instead of using 24 hours of PTO, I've essentially used 4. I will never be able to use it all by the end of the year. I wish I could sell it or something. Yeah, I can imagine the groans of sympathy at my plight.

No dream team at the Olympics. The men's basketball team lost to Puerto Rico. The ironic part is one of their players is on the Utah Jazz.

Fixed a small problem with the logs RSS feed. The server kept wrapping the feed in HTML. Changing the extent from RSS to XML got rid of that.

End of Entry

No comments: