-->

Friday, September 10, 2004

Titanic Exhibit

Stardate 58091.0 (09-10-2004)

Went to see the Titanic exhibit at the ZCMI mall last Monday with Rachel and my sister, Susan. I am glad the entrance fee was discounted that day, as I don’t think it was worth the full price. Upon entering, they handed you a boarding pass with the name of someone who was actually on the ship. At the end of the tour you could find the name of the person on a list that also indicated if they survived or not. A little on the morbid side, but it did generate some interest. Rachel’s second-class passenger did not make it, but both Susan’s and my steerage passengers did. This disappointed Rachel a little. One other thing I noticed is the optional audio tour guide is digital. It struck me because I remember at a Etruscan exhibit a few years again there was a guy at the end of the tour busily rewinding the cassette tapes. Another job eliminated by technology.

I did learn a few things from it. A first class accommodation on the ship is between $45,000 and $73,000 in today’s dollars. Steerage is about $650. It wasn’t exactly cheap to sail on the ship. Microorganisms are eating away at the steel in the hull, and in a few more years the ship will collapse.

Monday as well I let Patrick mow the lawn. I kept an eye on him the whole time, and I told him quite a few times that if he lost control of the mower, just let go and it will stop. He had to stop about four times. But he stuck with it. He even wants to do it again.

The van is legal again. April took it in the last time, and it passed. This experience is why we dread car registrations.

Patrick had his first soccer practice Wednesday. He’s on a team with his friends from school. The new commissioner is allowing this now. He seems to enjoy it more. I decided not to coach this year. Patrick had too many problems with me coaching, and Rachel is getting beyond my ability to teach. The games start on Saturday.

I also took Patrick to a cub scouts meeting Wednesday for a troop at St. Rose. Unfortunately, he found out that his best friends are joining a troop at St. Paul’s. He wants to join that one. It took some talking to April, but I think that would be the best.

Rachel has strep again. One more time this year and we will probably be removing tonsils.

End of Entry

No comments: