-->

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Rachel Back in School, Hurricane Ivan

Stardate 58091.5 (09-15-2004)

Rachel went back to school today. One trip to the ER, one to WeeCare, and two to the doctor, and she is finally feeling better. She spent most of yesterday catching up on missed schoolwork. I had to remember what predicates were, and work with her on the pronunciation of  Osaka, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki. I'll leave as an exercise for the reader to guess what country they were studying in social studies. I also wondered why the last two cities were on the map. They might now be some of the larger cities in Japan (oops, gave it away), but of course they are well known as the only cities to date to undergo nuclear bombardment. One primitive bomb apiece hardly counts as such, especially considering Dresden and Hamburg, but it was enough. I also use the cities as clues when I feel the need to point out only one country has ever used nuclear weapons in war, and nobody can figure out which one it is.

April and I have been following Hurricane Ivan for the last day and a half. Friends and family have all left New Orleans, as far as we can tell. My mother-in-law called yesterday afternoon to say she was leaving with a cousin. She called back about 9:30 that night to tell us they had reached Baton Rouge. Normally it's about a two hour drive. April found a website for one of the local TV stations, and she was watching all their weather report videos. I hit on the idea of looking at the traffic cameras. It was weird to see one side of the freeway clogged with cars, and the other clear, and knowing this was within the last 30 seconds. At this point the city has escaped serious harm. 

I took the Jung Typology Test to kill a little time waiting on a compile. Big surprise, I'm an introvert. I had to laugh at the personality type it gave me, Mastermind. It sounds like a comic super villain. Yes, that arch foe of justice, MASTERMIND. The description was all flattery. Only 1 percent of the population fits this type. Hey, but I'm in the group with Ayn Rand, Stephen Hawking, and Ike.

Shoot, the annoying pair of Colin and Christy were not eliminated on the Amazing Race. I was all set to see them go. Well, here's hoping they don't win on next weeks' two hour finale. I was surprised to find that Race 6 is scheduled to broadcast Saturday, October 2. They were taking applications for another race last month, so I am guessing there will also be a 7. Now, if one or two other good shows pull through the season, I'd be happy.
End of Entry

No comments: