-->

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Rachel Skiing and Patrick Cub Scouts

Stardate 58021.5 (2-15-2005)

Completely lost my train of thought on New Orleans, so I guess I won't be getting back to that after all. Oh, well, it was not that important. Lots of other things going on as well. So much that I feel overwhelmed trying to write a blog entry.

Rachel has been taking skiing lessons at Snowbasin. It's an expensive hobby, but I encourage her to learn. I never took lessons, and only went twice when I was growing up. It seemed everyone esle knew how to ski, though, and they were always going. So I think it is something my kids need to know living here in Utah. It's a popular sport, and it is good exercise. Rachel is doing well. The class she is in went down the 'big' run last Sunday, and she told me she only fell twice, and she is now capable of getting back up by herself. She said the adults kept getting stuck in the new powder. She is liking it now.

No basketball last weekend. This Saturday is my day to run the gym, so I will be there all day. Rachel wants to learn how to run the scoreboard. I anticipate a long day.

Tonight was Cub Scouts. Due to staying late at my job, we missed part of it. The last part was coloring tiger placemats for each memeber of the scouts family. I helped Patrick along by drawing glassed, a goatee, and the Starfleet symbol on mine. Patrick had no trouble recognizing it.

Several people have been talking to me about finding new jobs. It seems to be a trend. My manager suggested last week about moving back the date I start working on web programming. I got pretty upset about it, and he backed off. The new temporary director also wants to discuss it. I've been thinking about it, and I just don't want to continue working in C/C++. It has nothing to do with the people, or the projects, it's that I want to do something new. I liked the idea of Hibernate, and I have been unable to find anything like it for C++. As I have said before, it's good to see things from a different perpective, and learning different languages gives me that.

Ian Slater put up a piece about Star Trek and the direction it needs to take now. He had a few things to say about Enterprise. I don't agree that it was a mistake putting the show abroad a ship. This might have caused the writing to repeat stories from previous series, but that is the fault of the writing, not the setting. Look at the clones of Law and Order and CSI. The settings and format are all the same, but they manage to keep finding stories. I guess an Enterprise story could not be 'ripped from the headlines' like all of Law and Order. Most of the time I don't know what headlines they refer to. I assume something from the New York or L.A. Times, but I don't get those papers, so I don't know. And the granddaddy of reality shows, Survivor, did various settings in Australia and Africa, which apparently did not get the ratings. They abandoned those and went back to island formats. Not that any of those are supposed to be scripted or anything. I do agree that the Temporal Cold War was not a good idea. The time travel theme is a bit worn on Star Trek.

Well, lots of other things have gone on. Aside from a Ticonderoga activity and taking Rachel to Snowbasin, I worked the weekend. I am not sure how things are getting off track, but I have ideas to change a couple of things to bring it back in line. With new people to train, I can't let things spiral out of control.

End of Entry

No comments: