-->

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Miscellaneous

Stardate 57021.7 (02-17-2004)

Long while between entries. It's been a busy time.

Only four girls showed up for the practice on Wednesday. I heard after that there was a few other things going on. We did a little shooting and dribbling anyway. Rachel and I went to the Layton library after. I showed her some of "The Three Investigators" books that I read as a kid. She checked one out, although it is a bit hard for her to read. Then to Carl's house to get a tape he recorded Enterprise for me.

Lots to do all week at work. I guess this is a good thing. There are other projects I'd like to spend some time on, though. I am pushing to get an ok to take the data from the old defect tracking software and build a web site out of it. We don't enter new issues into that system, but we use it to reference old issues. Systems admin wants to get rid of the database because it is running on an old version of Oracle.

Friday was an accountability training class at work. It was done by the department manager, and she used me for some examples. The basic idea is that there is this line of success, and your behavior puts you above or below the line. You want to be above. The examples she used me with were both above and below, so I joked about always crossing the line. My supervisor told me afterward he doesn't believe the things I get away with. His problem is that he is afraid of the manager. I'm not, I just avoid her when she is having a bad day.

That night April and I went out to see Miracle. It was a good movie, and I got into it. Not nearly as much as the guy next to April. He kept yelling 'YES! GO!' during the game with the Soviets. I am not sure if he realized  the US team did win the gold in 1980. We went to dinner after, and crashed when we got home.

Saturday it was back up at 7 to get ready for basketball. Rachel spent Friday night at a friends house in Eden. So she met us at the court. Then I went to a appliance place to get a new blower for the dryer. Then off to Thanksgiving Point with the crew. We had a great time, but Thomas wants to go back soon. I crashed again as soon as I got home (the kids fell asleep in the car).

Sunday, back up at 7 to get ready for church. I like the 8 am mass. It's not crowded. The priest is a little strange. He talked about the reading of the Gospel, and how the poor that receive riches in heaven are not the financially poor, but the spiritually poor. I would have equated that with lack of faith, and this confused me. It's not the first time he has done this. You don't question him on it. I avoid religious conversations anyway, since they often are perceived as attacks on someone's beliefs.

Home after to work on the dryer. It took about an hour, and amazingly enough I had all the right tools. It does not work as well as it should, but it does work. The batteries for my cordless drill have reached the end of their lives. That has to be my favorite tool. Attach a flathead or Phillips bit, and it's a power screwdriver and wrench. It helps because twisting my wrists is painful due to repetitive stress injuries.

Today was a day off from work, and they only called twice. They deleted the library files, so I had to help them rebuild it. Well, we have the technology.

Am I Evan? My wife tells me her friends complain about husbands not doing this or that, or not being around. Then she tells them I get the kids up in the morning, get them breakfast, fix lunches, and get them off to school. At night I put them to bed. I help with homework and do dozens of other things. When she tells me this, I remember a commercial a long while back where some women where talking about how a guy named Evan does this, and does that. They keep asking the other guys why they can't be like Evan. The ad ends with "Why do guys like Evan ruin it for the rest of us?" I think the ad was selling beer, but I am not sure.

End of Entry

No comments: