-->

Friday, June 13, 2003

The Geek Test

Stardate 56061.3 (6-13-2003)

April had her Girl Scout troop over last Sunday for a backyard campout. It was a lot of work to get the house and yard ready, but it was successful. The only hitch was the rain guard blew off one of the tents in the middle of the night, and some of the girls had to move in the house. Rachel made a comment to April the next day that this was the best time she had ever had.

The good and bad of the week is that April has been working most nights. The good in that is her income for the pay period was better than mine. The bad part is we play tag-team parenting a lot. We never get any time alone together. It’s going to be that way for a awhile, so I just have to suck it up and live through it.

Chief Ray Meyer set up a meeting at Captain Stark’s house on Wednesday to go over web site updates and maintenance. I decided to dust off my bicycle (literally) and ride it down there. I did good on the way there (it was mainly downhill). The way back was much harder, and I was only able to ride about halfway. It was dark and I didn’t have any reflective safety gear on, so I think it was for the best.

I took The Geek Test the captain had in his log entry for 56060.7. I only scored 32.5%, so there’s room for improvement. I did send the link around work, and so far I have outscored everyone. My boss was amused by the entry for studied an artificial language (Esperanto, Klingon). I make it a point to include a Klingon phrase in my weekly status reports.

Work continues with the dire warnings on raises. I’m trying to figure out when the subject went from a motivational topic to this. Actually, it was two years ago, when the parent company assimilated all accounting. The money for raises is part of the budget planning the year before. Essentially, this means you expect some people to do worse. I guess I would not make a good accounting troll (see 
The Dilbert Principle by Scott Adams), because I don’t understand why it’s done this way.

End of Entry

No comments: